Friday, November 23, 2007

Update/Progress

While the crack team of professionals at Red Hat have, in fact, patched Samba, I'm still trying to figure out how to configure it. There hasn't been much time in that regard, as I had a huge job of film transfer to do for someone else that was due the day before Thanksgiving. In any case, the linux box is still working (obviously - I'm typing this up on it) and I will figure out Samba as I'm down here working on my next film transfer job.

In the meantime, I think I found the answer to my previous question: Yes, I can transcode MPEG-4 to an MPEG-TS. What I'm doing now with MediaCoder is taking the film of "Our Lady's Shrine", at least the MPEG-2 file, and changing it to an H.264 file in an MPEG2-TS stream container. I'm not sure exactly how it's going to turn out yet, but VLC should be able to play it. If I see no difference in quality between the MPEG-2, the MPEG-TS, and the H.264 files, yet see a much smaller file with the H.264, then I'm in business. The next step after transcoding will be to load them up on the server and set up VLC for VOD.

Oh, and as far as new films go, I just got a short of Pope Pius XII shutting the door after the Holy Year of 1950 was officially closed. I'll have to take a look at it all the way through, but it looks like it came from Off-Network Productions. I'm not sure if it's public domain or not, but for five bucks it was worth the risk.

More later...

ICTM,
Chuck, MI

No comments: