Sunday, June 24, 2007

An Epiphany of Sorts...

This morning, I had an epiphany of sorts (thus the title of this entry)...

I came to the conclusion that, while I'd like to use linux in some way, shape or form, it seems like every time I try to use it, at least in the early stages, something goes wrong and it doesn't work right. One installed fine, then unmounted the DVD-ROM drive when you put something in, others installed fine but then were next to impossible to upgrade (aka find the correct software to run MPEG-2), others wouldn't even install all the way. I came to this painful conclusion...

Install Windows.

At least in the playback stage. When I have my MPEG-2 player going, I'm sure I'm going to need linux for the MPEG-TS encoder and perhaps even use it for Windows Media, forgoing Windows in that stage. In this stage, though (the MPEG-2 player), I don't think I was supposed to use linux. Maybe the MPEG-2 decoder card I have wouldn't take it anyway. There's got to be some reason...

We'll find out soon enough; after I tore everything apart to put this desk up in the last week or two, I couldn't get the video monitor to extend my desktop on my editor for some reason. Maybe this monitor is supposed to be what I monitor the MPEG-2 box with.

More later...

ICTM,
Chuck, MI

No comments: