Monday, July 9, 2007

Good News/Bad News

Well, as you've already guessed, the bad news is basically this: I need to computers to run MDTV the way I'd like to, and I have one. I've tried every option, but it didn't look promising that three computers later, I still didn't have something that worked. The plan is now to turn the MPEG-2 player into an encoder and hook up a DVD player to it with the first week's programming burned onto a DVD-R and loop it. At least for the time being.

The good news, however, and I say this cautiously, is that I may have found a free tool to convert from .DV files to .AVI files. This is good because the guy transferring my 16mm film uses a Mac, and I use a PC. Needless to say, the files come to me as .DV files.

I'm using MPEG Streamclip 1.1 to transcode. Hopefully, this will work. I want to re-encode all the MPEG-2 files I did a few years ago with a watermark, but I kind of want to do this on the clip itself as opposed to while encoding the stream, as some of these films will be going to DVD at some point. In any case, first one is started. Hopefully, it'll turn out like I plan...

ICTM,
Chuck, MI

No comments: