Friday, March 16, 2007

Working Out Technical Issues

I got a chance to look at a few things when I got to my day job this afternoon...

First, I think something happened to that 120GB hard drive I just pulled out of my old editor. I put it into the firewire enclosure and neither the Mac at work or my personal Windows laptop even saw it. I'm not sure if it's because it still has the linux filesystem on there from the failed attempt at Debian this morning or not. I'm going to have to play with that hard drive when I get home; perhaps reformatting it into Windows first, then taking it back to the Mac to reformat it yet again so I can use it between both computers.

This will remain an issue, because I had to stick the 30GB hard drive I'd originally put into the enclosure back into it. I need a larger hard drive. The guy who transferred this batch of films (my 16mm projector has been in the shop for awhile now) recommended that when I transfer these from DV to MOV that I go with no compression. I did this and it looked fantastic. However, the problem that I ran into (obviously) was that it produced a 30.7 GB file. Not that I have a problem with that per se, but not when it won't fit on that firewire drive. I'm going to try yet again, but with the AVI file.

The film that caused this issue was a 1951 "Frontiersmen of Faith". It's a nice little film about the Vatican's communications departments. It goes into showing the presses of
L'Osservatore Romano and the Vatican Radio Service. Apparently, Marconi himself helped implement the radio station at the Vatican. This was verified by the film on Pope Pius XI that I also had transferred.

But I digress. Mostly for now, this is going to be a means for me to keep track of the technical aspects of Mater Dei Television here in it's infancy. There will be better stuff to read up here at some point, unless you like your Traditional Catholicism both Traditional AND technical. One of the other projects, although still a little ways away, is to get my Mac clone I got from my Freecycle list upgraded to a G3 or G4 so I can do these DV to MOV conversions from home. In the meantime, I've converted "Our Lady's Shrine", which is about the building of the National Basillica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C., and will be starting the film on Pope Pius XI here soon. If I can compress the "Frontiersmen" program into something that I can transfer to my firewire drive, I can then find a way to get that to my laptop hard drive and start working on it. Or something.

I really need to get more sleep.

ICTM,
Chuck, MI


No comments: